A Brave New World (Book Club Pt. 1)

Image result for brave new world
I thought that this blog post could be an imitation of a book club, where I am talking to my audience about my current readings. I am making my way through this dystopian novel, Brave New World, and it is one of my favorite readings yet. The futuristic notion that procreation of human beings are not natural but engineered in scientific labs, creating human caste systems are an interesting perspective of how efficiency regulated by the government can promote the loss of humanity and feelings. The people within the book believe that monogamy, single unit families, and the entire idea of feelings are absurd, and are the reasons for the historical downfalls (which is a society of today, us, the reader's time). People within the novel who currently still live the way that we do, present day, are outcasts in a conservation, labeled savages, and held as a satirical display of entertainment for the "civilized" people. Reading the passage where the two teenagers go to visit the "savages" brought me the sense that the outcasts were presented like zoo animals. 
I also noted, when reading about the caste system that is determined when the scientists are creating the fertilization of a cell, that it could potentially be an actual thing in the future. I can definitely see a society in America in the future, where socio-economic classes become heavily divided, and power becomes even more unbalanced than it already is. This ideology within the novel also plays into my anthropology class, where we talk about anthropologist's theories of what needs to happen in order for humans' life qualities within the community that surrounds them, to increase. One anthropologist's founding arguments was that until class status and levels of positions and power disappear, the human race can never actually achieve satisfactory.  
I can't wait to finish the whole book, and challenge myself to think in the ways that the characters in the book do. I am currently culturally biased since I can't ever perceive the thought of family life being destructive to us, but perhaps, I can give their thinking a chance, and really develop understanding alongside the characters. 

Comments

Popular Posts